Friday, April 27, 2012

Central Park

My wife pointed me to this forum and I am becoming addicted. I need a new fix -



She raised the possibility of a visit to Central Park during our one day visit to NYC. We will be walking major part of the city and will include this if the folks here believe it would be worth it.



It is a little intimidating as it looks so huge of a space on maps. Are there particular areas of the park that you find especially worth seeing.



Thanks



Central Park


Central Park is the heart and soul of this city. I couldn%26#39;t live here without it. My favorite parts are the Lake and the Ramble, Bethesda Terrace, the Conservatory Garden, Harlem Meer, Conservatory Water, the Mall, and lots of bridges, including the Bow Bridge and Gothic Bridge.





Don%26#39;t worry too much about getting lost. While the park is 843 acres, it is only three blocks wide (granted, they%26#39;re long blocks!).





If I were showing visitors around and they had only one place to see, I%26#39;d take them to the park for sure!



Central Park


My wife and I were fortunate enough to book a ';big apple greeter.'; I think the website is www.bigapplegreeter.org. It%26#39;s tough to get one but sign up and hope for the best. The greeters are all volunteers who just love NY.



We just specified central park and we got this great man who knew also volunteered at the central park conservency. He knew it inside and out! There is no charge at all or any pressure to donate. Of course we did later but it%26#39;s up to you.



Our walking tour lasted 4 hours - we were dead at the end but we saw central park! My wife was in heaven - long walk in the very beautiful park.




We were even luckier - we got this great woman with a very definite look of Catherine Deneuve! She was great. What%26#39;s more we had The Gates too and we saw Yoko Ono!



Sorry, I think its the 14.5% Australian wine I%26#39;ve been drinking to accompany the barbie! But, all of the above is true - just ask Bettina!




Thanks to all. Central Park has been added to the ';to do list';



By the way, what are ';The Gates';?




Anywhere in Central Park is nice to have a bit of a breather from the city. As you only have a day you won%26#39;t have much time, Battery park is nice and is near attractions although you don%26#39;t get that feeling of getting out of the city.




The Gates of Central Park, Feb 2005:





www.flickr.com/photos/hbomb/sets/155130/





This, of course, led to The Gates of Sommerville, Mass.





http://www.not-rocket-science.com/gates.htm





And, of course, to The Crackers





http://www.smilinggoat.com/crackers.html





Too bad you missed it....

No comments:

Post a Comment