Thursday, April 26, 2012

Already on to Part 3!!! This is crazy how much I have...

Hi again everybody! I can%26#39;t believe I am posting so soon, but I am so into this now! Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate them :) Haha, I just realized that my reasoning behind writing up three days at a time was to keep it in EVEN numbers..!!! eeehhehee...One thing about the photos, I wish we had taken more...We kind of forgot to take pics though, since we never really had that stressed-out, touristy ';we have to take pictures'; feeling! We both kind of fell into life in NYC, and felt that we were living it rather than visiting...anyway, back to Day 7!





DAY 7 - Friday 26th





Today we decided we wanted to go to the MET, since there was no way we were gonna do it over the weekend (too hectic, too many people), and we had no firm plans for the day, so this seemed perfect! We took the crosstown bus from 79th%26amp;York, straight across to basically right outside the MET without a problem, and headed into the musuem. We paid the 7$ suggested student fee, since we felt that that was totally reasonable.





So, we walked in, and immediately had no idea where we were going. We had already decided we wanted to see the modern art, the Van Gogh%26#39;s etc, and I insisted on seeing the Egyptian exhibit, so we asked a guard, and he pointed us in the right direction. My favorite was the Egyptian exhibit, because Ancient Egypt just fascinates me. Kate loves the paintings, so Van Gogh, amongst many others was on the top of her list. We only spent about 2 hours there, but wow! We both loved it.





After that we headed to 5th Av to have lunch somewhere and to show Kate the NY Public Library. We combined the two by buying sandwiches and ice coffees from a cafe, and sitting outside the library in the shade at the tables and chairs provided! That was so nice and relaxing, and our sandwiches were yummy! We chilled there for awhile actually, making phonecalls to all our people in the city ;) and trying to figure out our plans for the evening. We eventually decided to meet up with a Norwegian friend of mine (who just started working at a firm in NYC) for drinks near Times Square that evening. So, that planned, we went into the library, to see the Great Hall, or Reading Room, or whatever its called...:)





I was there last year, but it was still alot of fun to see again, especially for anyone who loves to read, like Kate and I both do. We didn%26#39;t linger for long though, as we decided on the spur of the moment to head to Times Square early and buy theater tickets from TKTS booth! We just walked over a couple of blocks and joined the queue, which was surprisingly short! Waited maybe 10mins.





We had originally wanted to see The Phantom of the Opera, but the tickets for that were ';obstructed view.'; We ended up with tix to Sweet Charity, which we didn%26#39;t know much about, but sounded really fun. But Kate%26#39;s father (so sweet!) had offered to buy us theater tickets as a thank you to me and my family for housing us, and being so great to Kate, so we decided to walk to the Majestic Theater and buy full-price tickets to Phantom!!! (I will explain more about our love-affair with this piece, making it SO worthwhile to pay the full price)





So, those in hand, we made our way back to 5th Av. By this time, it was close to 5.30, when we heard from my friend saying the bar they were going to was actually in Union Square, not Times Square. We decided we didn%26#39;t feel like stressing all the way down there and back by 8pm, so we...went shopping! (got really cute sneakers from Lacoste, and Kate got a great fleece jacket, hihihi...we certainly did contribute to the NYC economy! You%26#39;re welcome New York! ;)





All of a sudden, we noticed that it was like, 7.45, so, shopping bags swinging, we started power-walking it down 5th Av towards our theater on 45th street! We got there JUST before the show started, literally fell into our seats amongst shopping bags, when the lights dimmed and Christina Applegate stepped onto the stage! We settled ourselves quickly, without too much rustling, and sat back to enjoy the show.





This show was as different from The Pillowman as can be! It was one of those big, splashy, fun and funny musicals, that completely cracked us up, as well as being really good, with great songs, like ';Hey Big Spender';, and ';If My Friends Could See Me Now.'; We both loved it! And Christina Applegate was surprisingly good! Obviously, she is not a Broadway actor, and doesn%26#39;t have the same strength in her voice as many of them do, but she totally held her own. It was great! :)





After the show, I just happened to notice John%26#39;s Pizzaria down the street, so we decided to stop there for a pie and a glass of wine. This was actually really really yummy, and we ended up having two glasses of wine each and just sat and chitchatted about the show, etc. Headed home after that, feeling really full, especially me since I ate most of the pizza, and slightly tipsy, even from just two glasses! Though, as they say, its all about your mood, and we were in great ones! :)





DAY 8 - Saturday 27th





All we had planned for today was a relaxed brunch on the UWS with cuz%26amp;BF. We went to this great diner right down the block from BF, where I had my first real pancakes of the trip! Yum!! After brunch we wandered around, checked out a great shop they both buy all their gifts from, called More%26amp;Mores, or something like that. I%26#39;m sorry to you all who want specifics, I suck at remembering things like this...





BF wanted to show us Riverside Piers, and I am so glad he did, because they were so cool! Great views of the city...And it was so nice, because there were lots of NYers sunbathing and fishing off it. It was nice to see locals taking advantage of stuff like that. I also had a very enjoyable chat with a really nice woman with a Pomeranian dog, who I just had to go pet! I have decided that when I move to NY, I am getting myself one of those...They are SO CUTE! (hehe, nyc10025, to share with my investment banker husband;)





After that, we walked back up to like, 60th%26amp;Broadway, and just sauntered around, eventually ending up on Columbus, where we stopped by BananaRepublic, etc. After cousin%26amp;BF left us, Kate and I went to Filenes Basement in hopes of designer discounts, but found it to be similar to Century21. Sure, they have designer stuff, but stuff from like the 80s!! Shoulder-pads galore!! Needless to say, we found nothing there:)





Our plans for that evening were partying with that Norwegian friend of mine, so we headed back to our place (well, cuz%26#39;s place really :) to get ready for the evening. Had a minor crisis when trying to decide what to wear (picture me whining ';I have NOTHING to wear!!!';) but Kate, wise as she is, cracked open a bottle of champagne, and after two glasses, we were ready to go! :)





The original plan was to join him at a friend of his who lives on the UWS for a rooftop barbeque, but as always, the plan changed and he was a bit late. So we sat ourselves down at a great bar on the corner of 69th%26amp;Columbus, I think it was called Caprice. We shared a basket of pita bread and hummus, and had a couple of Cosmo%26#39;s while we waited for him to get there, because no matter how many times he said we could, there was no way we were going to the party without him!!





So, about 9.30 he pulled up by the restaurant and we headed to the party. Great place, two floors, with a rooftop area where they had had the BBQ. Lots of Norwegians there, which was fun for me, not so much for Kate in the beginning. She can tell you how bad Norwegians are at remembering to speak English when they get together abroad. We tried to keep the conversation in English, but all found ourselves slipping back into Norwegian...Poor Kate! Eventually she gave up on me, and had a great time with the other Americans there, drinking wine out of plastic cups, and everyone just having a really good time.





We decided to hit the town around 2ish, but this is when it gets a little hazy for me...;) I think we headed down to the East Village, not too sure. Either way, we made last call at some bar, had one drink, and got tossed out. After this we went and bought booze and food and went back to one of the American girl%26#39;s apartment for an after-party. We didn%26#39;t get home til about 7am, but boy, did we have a blast!! We didn%26#39;t experience NYC nightlife when it comes to clubbing, but just drinking on that rooftop with friends looking out at NYC was amazing. And to be honest, Kate and I didn%26#39;t really feel the need to hit the big nightclubs by ourselves, much more fun being with a group of friends and laughing and drinking, or going for nice dinners with great friends and family :) So, got home at 7am and literally fell into bed! Great great night!!!





DAY 9 - Sunday 28th





HUNGOVER! Woke up at about 2.30, feeling like sh*t!!! Kate could barely move :) We both managed to eat some cereal and have a cup of tea (my must-have of the day, seriously, my day will be off if I don%26#39;t get my morning cup of tea). We lazed around in bed complaining for awhile, when a friend of mine from Norway called announcing that she was at Newark and would be arriving in the city in an hour! Ooops, I totally forgot about that!!! I of course had to meet her, so dragged on some clothes and staggered to the subway to GCS.





This turned out to be my only negative experience with the subway. By Sunday, the weather had turned horrible and humid again (it had been so great all week!) and I had to walk like 15min in JEANS in that humidity all the way to the subway, only to get underground, and have to wait 25 MINUTES for the train!! That was actually just gruesome, it was so hot and humid, and not only was I hungover, I also couldn%26#39;t breath down there :) But the train finally showed up, and zipped me to GCS in a very comfortable airconditioned train.





It was fun to see my friend, as she had never been to NYC before! First things first was to find a cafe and get a coffee and SIT DOWN! We were both exhausted, albeit for slightly different reasons :) I took her to Bryant Park, were we chilled for awhile and she admired all the buildings. This was convenient, since we passed Madison, Park, and 5th Av, so she saw all of that. I also suggested we walk to Times Square, as that is a pretty impressive sight, especially if you want the ';real'; NYC experience you see on TV. And I was right, she loved it :)





She only had an hour, so we made our way back to GCS where she got on her bus and headed back to Newark Airport. I then met up with Kate, and we got ourselves down to Canal St. for a very improptu dinner in Little Italy!





This was great fun, apart from both of us feeling like cr*p :) Its so sad that Chinatown is taking over so much, I loved Little Italy!! We made our way slowly down the streets, taking it all in, and checking out menu%26#39;s. We eventually decided on a little place all the way at the end of Little Italy. Great service, good food, we were happy. The waiters must have been totally wierded-out however, since we spent most of our meal in silence, too exhausted to talk, but both of us really content and enjoying our meals! Poor waiters :) They kept asking if we were sure we didn%26#39;t want wine! hehehehe...





After our meal we slowly made our way back to the subway on Canal St. and went home, stopping at a bakery outside the subway station for some cheesecake for me, carrotcake for Kate. Went home and ate our cake in bed in front of the TV, very content and full, and fell asleep by 11pm :) However, very excited about our next day, since we had big plans!!!!





Ok, this is it for Part 3! Only two more days left, but they were packed, so will probably be longer that even this! Hope you all enjoy this as much as the other two, again, I am enjoying writing it!





P.S. NETS, my sunglasses are Gucci, courtesy of Bloomingdales (where you will get 11% off, or 15% with a CityPass!) and Kate%26#39;s are Prada, from the Sunglasses Hut like two blocks over! Have fun trying glasses on!! :)

















Already on to Part 3!!! This is crazy how much I have...


I think this is the best trip report I have ever read. I feel like I am right there with you, and I find myself smiling as I read. Can%26#39;t wait for the next installment!



Already on to Part 3!!! This is crazy how much I have...


Sorry about the subway - Blech! We know your pain! I even dress diffferntly for the subway (carry a sweater, bottle of water and tissues.)




What a lovely thing to say, that you felt like you were living it rather than visiting. You write such a great report, that the readers can almost be there with you...I know I am every time you mention being out and about on the UWS particularly.





Will be checking in for the next bit.




Tina i am so spellbound in your details of your trip. As many have said i to believe i am in this wonderful city with you. Your attention to detail is amazing. It sure is a riverting read.





Thank you for the sunglasses tip...





Hurry back soon i am having withdrawal sypmtons.





nets




I love the way you guys party! Great stamina.





I want to hear your Phantom story, too. Don%26#39;t hold back.




Hehe, I noticed lots of people with tissues and stuff! I wish I was that smart!! :) But other than that one experience, I was fine...Even so, the city may want to consider putting air conditioning in the subway stations as well as the trains ;)




Go Girl, I%26#39;m going to plan my next vist to NYC, for when you come back. Your post are to much. Rock on, can%26#39;t wait for your next post.



glenn




FYI, there are one or two subway stations with - and I use the term loosely - air conditioning. In the Times Square station, one platform as some cool a/c air blown in from above. It creates this very odd ';cone of a/c'; on the platform, and people try to cluster under it. Then they realize, eh, it%26#39;s not worth being so close to these other sweaty people, right in front of a stair case - I%26#39;ll be cooler standing by myself in a more spacious are.





I believe this is a pilot program that is hanging on, but I haven%26#39;t heard any plans to expand it...


  • makeup care
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment